Child Support Serving Families In Palm Beach & Surrounding Areas and Throughout Florida

Palm Beach Gardens Child Support Attorney

Protecting the Rights of Fathers & Mothers in Palm Beach Gardens

Child Support is a monthly payment usually sent from the parent with less time-sharing to the parent exercising more time-sharing. According to Florida child support laws, child support is calculated by a statutory formula that takes into consideration each parent’s income, time-sharing, and health insurance and daycare expenses. Other payments in the nature of child support are sometimes ordered, such as travel expenses for visitation, uncovered medical expenses and private school tuition. Hiring West Palm Beach divorce lawyers with a solid grasp of Florida child support guidelines can impact how your child (or children) and you live your lives for years to come.

Contact us online or call (561) 677-2462 today to schedule an initial consultation with a child support attorney in Palm Beach Gardens. We serve families across Palm Beach County and Florida.

How long will I pay/receive child support?

Child support is paid until such time as the minor child reaches the age of 18, dies, marries, enters the military service or leaves the household and becomes self-supportive. However, if a minor child is in good faith attempting to obtain a high school diploma, the child support shall continue until such time as the minor child graduates from high school with a reasonable expectation of graduation before the child’s 19th birthday. If the child is disabled, parents may be required to pay child support indefinitely.

Is child support taxable or deductible for income tax purposes?

Child support payments are neither taxable to the recipient nor deductible by the payor on their tax return. Additionally, if your alimony payment includes an element of child support, the child support portion of the payment is not taxable on your tax return.

What happens if I don't receive my child support?

There are various options for you to consider if you are not receiving your support. The Court can hold a parent in contempt for non-payment of support; the Court can order imprisonment; the Court can order direct payments from the obligor’s paycheck; or the Court can suspend an obligor’s driver’s license, vehicle registration or passport.

What if I cannot pay my child support?

If you cannot pay your child support and there is a valid reason for your non-compliance, it is best to take a proactive approach and seek relief from the Court before your situation becomes troublesome. You can seek a modification of your support, you can seek an abatement (temporary moratorium and/or reduction) of your support obligation or we can advise you on how to take steps to help prevent your imprisonment or the suspension of your driver’s license, vehicle registration, or passport.

Is there a limit to the number of times a divorce settlement can be modified?

No. As long as the provisions of the settlement are subject to modification, upon a proper showing of a change in circumstance it may be modified by the Court. As with most settlements, if the parties are in agreement, the terms of the agreement can be modified voluntarily.

Understanding Child Support Modification

It's important to understand that child support orders are not set in stone. Life circumstances can change, and as a result, child support orders may need to be modified to reflect these changes. Whether you are the paying or receiving parent, it's crucial to know your rights and options when it comes to modifying child support.

Some common reasons for seeking child support modification include:

  • Change in income for either parent
  • Change in the child's financial needs
  • Change in custody or visitation arrangements
  • Medical or educational expenses for the child

Our Palm Beach Gardens Child Support Attorney can help you navigate the process of modifying child support orders to ensure that they accurately reflect your current circumstances. We are committed to protecting the best interests of both parents and the child involved.

Effective Enforcement of Child Support in Palm Beach Gardens

At John F. Schutz, P.L., we understand the importance of receiving the child support that you are entitled to. Unfortunately, not all parents fulfill their financial obligations, leaving the custodial parent and the child in a difficult situation. If you are not receiving your court-ordered child support payments, our experienced Palm Beach Gardens child support attorneys can help you enforce the support order.

Enforcing child support orders involves taking legal action to ensure that the non-paying parent meets their financial responsibilities. Our skilled attorneys can assist you with:

  • Filing a petition for contempt: If the non-paying parent is willfully refusing to pay child support, we can file a petition for contempt with the court. This legal action can result in consequences for the non-paying parent, such as fines, wage garnishment, or even jail time.
  • Seeking Child Support Order Modifications: If there has been a significant change in circumstances, such as a job loss or increase in income, we can help you seek a modification of the child support order. This can ensure that the child support amount is fair and reflects the current financial situation of both parents.
  • Tracking Down Non-Paying Parents: In some cases, the non-paying parent may try to avoid their child support obligations by hiding or moving away. Our attorneys have resources and strategies to locate non-paying parents and hold them accountable for their financial responsibilities.

At John F. Schutz, P.L., we are dedicated to protecting the rights of both fathers and mothers in child support matters. Contact our Palm Beach Gardens child support attorneys today to discuss your case and find out how we can help you enforce your child support order.

Continue Reading Read Less

Are You...

  • Looking for legal advice?
  • In need of a legal consultation?
  • Looking for answers?

John F. Schutz, P.L. is here to help you and provide legal guidance as needed.

Hear From Our Happy Clients

"Genius divorce lawyer"

John Schutz is a brilliant lawyer. Not only did Mr. Schutz do an excellent job cleaning up the mess from the previous lawyer, he in my estimation was key in me ultimately obtaining a very good outcome. I had a very contentious divorce and the opposing lawyer was very unprofessional and somewhat abusive. Mr. Schutz through his professionalism and excellent people skills was able to reign in the opposing attorney's unprofessional conduct. Mr. Schutz ran circles around the opposing attorney as he was always prepared and was quick on his feet. He is well worth the money in my opinion. Due to his skill and the ability to outclass the opposing attorney, a trial was avoided which ultimately would have been far more costly. Highly recommend.

- Elizabeth
  • Florida Bar - Board Certified, Marital and Family Law
  • The International Academy of Family Lawyers
  • The American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML)
  • Super Lawyers
  • AV Rated, by Martindale-Hubbel
  • “Best Law Firms” by U.S. News & World Report
  • International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
  • Lawyer of the Year 2023
  • Best Lawyers 2024

Why Choose John F. Schutz, P.L.?

  • Member of the AAML

    As a member of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, we aim to improve the quality of family law practice for clients.

  • Meet With Us Virtually Or At Our Office
    With virtual consultations, it's easier than ever to get started.
  • Family Law Is All We Do
    We're exclusively focused on handling family law cases.

Contact John F. Schutz, P.L. Today!

We’re Ready to Help

A member of our team will be in touch shortly to confirm your contact details or address questions you may have.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy